Usually, an AT&T router blinking red is not a serious issue. So, you do not need to panic and jump to conclusion that your router is already faulty or damaged.
There are several reasons why your router has a blinking red light but the main one is that there is a disruption in the power supply.
Other reasons for an AT&T router blinking red include a faulty device, loose cables, or a bad connection to the servers, which leads to no internet access.
Continue reading to find out how you can fix a blinking red light on your AT&T router.
What Does A Blinking Red Light On An AT&T Router Mean?
When your AT&T router is blinking red, it shows that there is no proper power supply or your router is not accessing the internet from the service provider.
The following are the different red light statuses on an AT&T router and each has a meaning as explained below:
- Solid red light – the router is not getting a proper power supply or there is a failure with the internet service authentication.
- Blinking red light – the router is not getting a DSL signal, the router cannot connect to the AT&T network, or the battery needs to be replaced.
- Blinking green and red – the router has taken more than three minutes trying to connect to the AT&T network.
Why Is My AT&T Router Blinking Red?
If there is a blinking red light on your AT&T router, then there is either a connection or power problem with it.
The following are some of the reasons why your AT&T router is blinking red:
- There is a failure in the AC power cord.
- The AT&T servers are down.
- Faulty connections make it hard for the router to connect to the servers.
- The router’s firmware needs updating.
- Faulty hardware.
- Power or internet outage.
- Problems with the wall outlet.
How To Fix The AT&T Broadband Red Blinking Light
Below, we outline some of the solutions for fixing a blinking red light on your AT&T router:
1. Move Your Router
If you placed the router in an area where it can get interfered with by other electronic or Bluetooth devices, the internet signal could be stuck in traffic.
When this happens, your router will detect weak or no signal and it will have a flashing red light.
Therefore, moving the router to a different location with less or no interference could help solve the issue. It is usually a good idea to place it somewhere high.
2. Check For Loose Connections
Check if all the cables and connectors are firmly attached. Some cables may have been accidentally unplugged.
Take out any battery pack, surge protectors, or any equipment that might be blocking the direct connection. Check for any wear and tear. If there are outdated cables get new ones and replace them.
A blinking red light might also indicate a bent cable or a cable pressed firmly against a sharp object.
3. Change The Connector
There is a plastic connector on the broadband cable at one end linking the router with the broadband cable.
Look for any damages that prevent the router from operating well and if it is the connector that causes the problem, replace it immediately.
4. Power Cycle Your Router
Power cycling is restarting the router and ensuring there is no power left in it. It is a helpful way to fix any software or hardware-related issues.
If your router is experiencing any bugs, they will be fixed at this step and eliminate red light flashing issues.
5. Steps to power cycle the AT&T router are:
- Disconnect the router’s plug from the switchboard to ensure it is disconnected from the power supply.
- Wait for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Connect the plug to the switchboard again and turn on the router.
- Wait till all the router’s lights are turned on.
When you power cycle, it will resolve any problems caused by a minor bug.
6. Update Firmware
If you have not updated your router for a while, outdated software could be causing your problem. In this situation, your router suddenly stops being connected to the internet.
The following are ways to check your firmware version:
- Log in to the Smart Home Manager using your computer or your phone.
- Choose the home network hardware.
- Choose the device details.
- You can see the firmware version at the bottom of the page that opens.
After noting the current firmware version, you can perform a firmware upgrade using the same software. This is how to do it:
- Open Chrome or any web browser.
- Open Smart Home Manager and sign in.
- Select your network.
- Scroll to Home Network Hardware.
- Choose Restart after selecting your router.
When your device restarts, crosscheck the version number of the new firmware with the previous version to confirm the update. When you have upgraded, the red light should turn off.
7. Restart Router
If changing the cables or the firmware update did not fix your problem, troubleshoot your AT&T router by restarting it.
Mostly when you reboot or restart your router you can fix the issue of the blinking red light.
The following are steps to restart the AT&T router:
- Turn off your router and remove the cable from the switchboard.
- Wait for about 30 to 40 seconds.
- Connect the cable to the router and switch it on.
- Give a few seconds for the router to restart itself.
- If you see the white light on the router, it means that you have solved your issue and that you are connected to the internet.
8. Check For Outage and Maintenance
Sometimes the issue could be from the side of the local Internet Service Provider. It could be that the AT&T service in your area is under maintenance or an unexpected internet outage.
This might cause your router to blink red because of the internet disconnection.
If there is a system outage that you are not aware of then your issue will persist. If the issue has been for a long time, it could be that your system is down.
The following are steps for checking maintenance and internet outage:
- Get in touch with the local internet service provider and inquire about maintenance and if there is any outage in the area. This could be because of bad weather.
- Look for official updates on internet outages. You can do this by checking for AT&T outages on the official website of your Internet Service Provider to see if there are system maintenance or outages.
- You will have to wait for the issue to be fixed from their end. They usually don’t take a long time. You will try reconnecting your router later when there is no outage and there should be solid white light that indicates a successful connection.
9. Check For Overheating
Another cause of blinking red light on an At&T router is overheating. This can be because of the frequent usage or using the router more than its capacity.
The following are steps to cool down your overheated router:
- Switch off the router for a few minutes and allow it to cool down
- Once the router is cool, you can turn it on again and see if the red light is back.
- If there is no red light, your issue has been resolved.
- If the problem is still getting the blinking red light, then try the next solution
10. Check For Overloading
Your router could be blinking red because of overloading. This happens when the router has been used more than its bandwidth limit.
The following are steps to overcome the router’s overloading:
- Disconnect all the devices that are connected to the router.
- Limit the number of devices that can be connected to the router at a time.
- Restart your AT&T router again and check for the white light.
11. Factory Reset the Router
A factory reset should be the last solution to try out if all other solutions did not work. By factory resetting the router, the bugs that were affecting the router can be cleared and the router will function properly again.
The following ways show how to factory reset:
- Look for a sim card pin or paper clip.
- Locate the reset button at the back of the router.
- Use your pin or paper clip and reach the reset button.
- Press and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds until the light is off.
- Release it when the lights are back on.
- When the broadband light shows white then you have completed your reset.
- Using your phone or computer try to connect to the internet and if you can do so then you have resolved your issue.
You should note that a factory reset clears up the saved setting and data on your router.
Log in to the admin menu again and amend the settings back to your desired preferences. After doing the four-step process you will get rid of the blinking red light on the broadband indicator of your AT&T router.
If your AT&T router is still blinking red try the next solution.
12. Inspect The Ports
If there is a good connection, then the problem could be with the modem ports or the router. Inspect the ports to find out if there are missing contact points.
If the ports are faulty, you will need to replace them because they will not function properly.
13. Contact Customer Care
If you have tried several troubleshooting methods and none has worked, contact AT&T support to figure out what to do next.
They will remotely try to help by checking your connection and guiding you through some troubleshooting steps.
They will give more personalized diagnosis steps based on the information they have about your internet connection and the location on the file.
They can also send a technician to check your internet connection if they are unable to resolve your issue remotely.
You might even need to replace your device. If you have a faulty device then it needs a repair or replacement. They will advise you on the next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Lights Should Be on My AT&T Router?
To be able to connect to the WiFi internet, ensure that the wireless, power, and Broadband lights are all on the AT&T router. Wired connections need an ethernet light to be turned on.
How often do I need to Replace My Router?
To keep your network up to date, replace your router every four to five years. This will keep your network up to date on the newest tech. it will also work with new standards of hardware.
How do I know if the AT&T Network is Having Issues?
If there is a WiFi connection and your device is connected to it but there is no internet service available, it shows that the broadband service is down. You may need to do some troubleshooting on your AT&T router.
You can also contact AT&T customer support or you can use a third-party website like the DownDetectors.
If your AT&T router is blinking red, it is not a big deal as long as you know how to fix it.
Before trying to fix the problem, you need to know what causes a blinking red light which can be problems with power, internet connection, an outage in your area, or your router is faulty and needs replacement.
Hopefully, this article has provided you with some of the solutions to help you solve the problem including resetting your router or checking the cables to ensure that they are not faulty.
However, if you are not able to figure out what is causing the blinking, you should contact the AT&T support team to help you find the cause and solution.