Have you ever experienced a Verizon router blinking white? Generally, a blinking white light isn’t a cause for concern as it indicates the router is loading and will stabilize soon.
However, if the blinking LED white light continues for some time with no internet connection available, it could indicate that you’re having connectivity issues with the FiOS network, or the router is experiencing syncing issues.
Most of the issues that cause a blinking white light in Verizon routers are easy to solve. In this article, we outline various fix options such as a power cycle, system reset, cable check, or firmware update.
Unfortunately, the blinking white light could be caused by a regional network outage which is beyond the control of everyday internet users to solve. In these circumstances, you should hang tight and wait for the issue to be solved.
Read on to learn more about the causes and solutions of a blinking white light on Verizon FiOS routers.
What Is The Meaning Of A Blinking White Light On Verizon Router?
Before diagnosing the issue of a blinking white light on your router, you need to first understand the different white light modes on Verizon routers:
Stable white light – a stable white light means that your router has a ‘normal’ status and the router is operating as usual so you do not have to worry. This means that the router is turned on, functional and has a stable internet connection.
The stable white light will be on for about 30 seconds then turn itself off. This shows that there is WiFi connectivity throughout your house and all devices can find it.
Fast-blinking white light – if your router is continuously blinking white instead of having a stable white light, then it is rebooting or is in a self-diagnostic mode which can happen through a firmware upgrade or hard reset.
Booting means that the router is loading all the software that it needs to operate properly, and this is a normal procedure for Verizon routers.
The white light can blink for about 2 to 3 seconds before the reboot or hard reset. But if there is a firmware update, the blinking can last up to 2 minutes. If it blinks for longer than 2 minutes, there could be other underlying issues.
Blinking White Light On Verizon Router Causes
If your Verizon router continues to blink white for longer than 2 minutes, there could be a variety of issues at play. They include:
- A problem with the configuration.
- The quality of your signal is poor.
- There is an internet outage in your area.
- An issue with the hardware.
- Your router is potentially updating its firmware.
- Faulty cables or splitter.
- Malware detected.
Solutions To Fix Verizon Router Blinking White Light
1. Reboot The Verizon Router
This solution is easy to implement and apply whenever you experience any problem with your network. You can reboot your router online using the following steps:
- Visit http://192.168.1.1 using chrome or any web browser.
- Enter your ID and Password.
- Admin WebGUI login page will open up.
- From the top menu, tap on Advanced Settings then go to Utilities, and Reboot Router.
- Allow the device to restart in a few seconds.
- If you can see there is a constant white light, your problem is resolved.
Hopefully, the solid white light will be back. If the white light is not back, you try the next solution.
2. Perform Power Cycle
The next solution to try is ensuring that there is no power supply to the router. This is to allow you to fix any hardware or software-related problems.
The following are steps to power cycle your Verizon router:
- Switch off your router and remove the power cables.
- Make sure there is no power supply to the router.
- Wait for about five to ten minutes.
- Reconnect the power supply cable and switch on your router.
- Wait until the router status turns to solid white.
3. Hard Reset the Router
If you have tried the above steps and cannot get rid of the blinking white light on your router, resetting the router is the next solution you can try. It will delete all the custom settings, therefore, back up any important data before factory resetting.
There are two ways to do it. The first is to perform using the Verizon router’s administrative page, and the second involves pressing the reset button on the router.
The following are steps to resetting the Verizon router through settings:
- Sign in to the web interface of the router
- Go to Advanced settings
- Click Utilities then Save Restore
- Click Factory Default then Restore Configuration
The Verizon routers have a factory reset button and you can use it to reset your router using the steps below:
- Find a paper click or object similar to it
- At the back of the router press and hold the reset button for about 10 to 15 seconds
- Your Verizon router should reboot after a few minutes and it should restore your connection
Once your router is reset, try to connect to the internet again.
4. Check The Cables
Checking the cables and connectors is another step you can take when you start experiencing network problems.
If you notice a blinking white light without upgrades or rebooting, make sure your cables are plugged in correctly. If you replaced your router or moved it around, it could be that you did not plug the cable correctly.
When cables are loose, it is easy because you just plug them in firmly and the internet connection should fix itself. Ensure that both ends of the cables are plugged in and out properly.
Replace your cables immediately if they look frayed, or have been twisted or damaged. A loose connection can cause problems and may not be detected easily. Therefore, disconnect and connect the cables again on both ends. See whether your problem is fixed.
The following are easy steps for disconnecting and connecting the cables:
- Check for any damaged or faulty wires
- Disconnect cables to check for dirty or damaged wires
- Check inside the router ports for dust or dirt and if any blow them
- Replace your damaged cables immediately to get over the white blinking light
- Connect back the wires and cables and restart your router. Confirm if your connection is back or not.
You can try the next solution if your cables are okay but your problem persists.
5. Update The Router Firmware
The cause of the blinking white light could be that there is a pending firmware update that you are not aware of. The following are steps to update your routers firmware:
- Log in to your router’s web portal
- Go to the section of the system settings
- Check If there are any available updates
- If there are any updates, download and install them.
If the white light persists, try the next solution.
6. Prevent Router from Overheating
Your Verizon router could be getting heated up more than normal and you are not aware of it. Verizon routers can overheat if your usage levels exceed the bandwidth, or if it absorbs heat from their environment.
The following steps will prevent your router from overheating:
- Change the router’s location to a cooler place.
- Check that there is no dirt around the router.
- Avoid placing anything on the router.
- Ensure that the router has enough open space around it.
- Avoid keeping the router near heated sources like microwaves and stoves or in closed cabinets.
7. Inspect For Defective Light
You may be experiencing a faulty router light if the blinking continues without stopping. Ensure that there are no signal strength or connection issues first, before checking if the light is faulty.
If everything is working well it suggests the LED light may have malfunctioned. In this case, it is fine to let it blink away as it does not cause any issues (though it may be annoying to look at).
The downside of a defective light is that you may not be able to tell if the router’s light is malfunctioning or it is rebooting.
The best way to solve such an issue is by ringing Verizon to ask for a replacement if you were offered the option when purchasing it.
Verizon can also help fix your LED light if they did not offer you a replacement. Maybe your router has simply aged and needs a replacement.
8. Is Verizon Down – Outage Issues
This may not be a solution because it is a little beyond your control. Sometimes Internet Service Providers experience network problems or are performing scheduled maintenance.
The network issues with the internet service providers could be because of an outage after bad weather.
In such cases, Verizon routers usually receive an unstable, weak signal or even no signal at all. If the signal is weak or no signal is available, the Verizon router will have a problem connecting or syncing causing the white light to blink.
These issues cannot be fixed directly by users, however, you can check to see if there is an outage to establish it as the cause of the blinking white light.
You can do this by contacting the Internet Service Providers directly to inquire if there is any connectivity outage within your area.
If you can contact their customer support, you can talk and explain the various issues to them and they should confirm if there is an outage in your area.
If there is an outage causing the problem, sit back and wait for your Internet service provider to solve it. It usually doesn’t take long.
However, if you have checked that Verizon services are working well you can try the next solution.
9. Contact Customer Care
If you have tried all the solutions and your Verizon’s white light is still blinking, contact Verizon support. They can remotely try to help by checking your connection or helping you through some troubleshooting steps.
If they cannot help you remotely, they can send a technician to your home to fix your issue for an upgrade or gateway replacement.
Take the following steps:
- Get in touch with Verizon customer support through live chat
- After trying all the troubleshooting and you can’t solve your issue, ask the technician to come to your place and check the device
- If possible, buy a powerful Verizon FIOS router to avoid all these issues.
There are several ways to solve the problem of a Verizon router blinking white, and they can be done quickly and easily at home.
Hopefully, one of the methods mentioned in this article such as a device reset, checking cables, or checking for local outages, will help you fix the blinking white light on your router.
However, if you haven’t been able to find what is causing the blinking white light and fix it, you should contact Verizon customer care so that they can send an expert to your home to fix the router or replace the device.